sugar beets), and butter. The original recipe calls for honey and white sugar, but I used up my honey over the week because of my cold and sore throat. Plus, I don’t quite like the strong honey taste in food. It was very easy to make and I was glad I could finally use up my fancy molasses so I could use the jar it came in. I can’t vouch that using fancy molasses and beet sugar syrup is healthier than using regular white sugar and honey. It does however change the taste of it and I actually really like it, plus it turned out not too sweet. Another great thing about making your own muesli bars is that you can customise it as you like. I started off with the basic mixed nuts and fruits. Once I’m done eating this batch I will try out others. It’s a good way to clear my cupboard from small quantities of nuts, fruits, and cereal.
- ½ cup + 1 Tablespoon (125 grams) Butter
- ½ cup Golden Syrup (see tips)
- ¼ cup Sugar (see tips)
- 2 ½ cups Rolled Oats
- 1 ¼ cup Rice Krispies
- 2 cups Mixed Nuts & Dried Fruits
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a 31cm x 22cm (12 x 8-inch) baking pan with parchment paper and grease well.
- In a large and deep non stick pan or pot, melt butter, golden syrup and sugar on medium heat.
- Mix well and let it boil for 4-5 minutes or till it slightly thickens.
- Remove from heat and add oats, mixed fruits, nuts, and rice krispies.
- Mix well and make sure the ingredients are well coated.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and flatten with a spatula or a scraper. Press firmly to ensure the mixture sticks together.
- Bake for 20 minutes or till golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let the muesli cool off in the baking pan for an hour.
- Remove from baking and cut into 20 slices. Or as your hearts desire.
- Feel free to use any nuts or dried fruits.
- Use any cereal such as corn flakes, cheerios, smacks, or honey bsss pops (honey stars).
- You can substitute golden syrup for honey, fancy molasses, or corn syrup.
- You can substitute sugar for any choice of sugar such as raw sugar, muscodavo or demerara. I used beet sugar syrup.
- You can omit sugar.
- Store in an air tight container for up to 2 weeks.
- If you have picky eaters, mince up dried fruit.
- Try coating it in chocolate for extra yumminess and calories!
100 0 100 7