I’ve known about the ketogenic diet for about 4 years now. I can’t remember if I’ve shared this before, but I only came to know about it after I was diagnosed with PCOS. Thanks to many ladies with PCOS who have shared their journey, I decided to try eating the ketogenic way. It was difficult! As a carb loving person, taking away carbs from my meals willingly required a lot of will power. But I had two goals in mind, one was to lose weight, as I’ve been overweight since I hit puberty. The second was to increase my chances of getting pregnant as I read that the keto diet helps PCOS-ers.
Luck was on my side, and I achieved both! I had a keto baby, and as soon as I stopped expressing breastmilk, the weight started to pile on. I was not eating well at all. I had lots and lots of carbs, as it was the easiest to shove into my mouth while looking after a baby at home. But now, I’ve come back to it since baby has turned into a threenager, it has become way much more manageable to plan meals and give up carbs. Plus, one of my best friends is getting married in March and I’m part of the wedding party…and I told them to get me 2 sizes down of my bridesmaid dress!
So without realising, I’ve always cooked my Creamy Lemon Chicken this way – without any added carbs and I thought I’d share my version with you. There’s also a video below to show how it’s cooked. If you like what you see, please give it a thumbs up and subscribe to my channel. I promise to make more crappy videos and voice-overs for you 🙂
The dish is perfectly customisable to suit your own needs. I’m going to list a few things which you can substitute:
Chicken breast: Chicken thigh, chicken meatballs, or even fish!
Butter: olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, lard, clarified butter, etc.
Heavy cream: coconut cream – do expect a coconut-y taste
Thickening agent: you can use parmesan cheese, egg yolks, or xanthan gum.
- 2 pieces, cut into half Chicken Breast
- 1-2 Tablespoons Butter (or any oil for pan frying)
- 250ml / 1 cup Cream
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 120ml / ½ cup Chicken Stock
- ¼ tsp Italian Herbs
- To taste Freshly ground black pepper
- To taste Salt
- 3 Tbsp Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Add some butter to a frying pan. Add chicken pieces and some garlic, fry till golden brown both sides of the chicken.
- Pour in heavy cream, cook till slightly thickened. Add in lemon juice.
- Sprinkle herbs and freshly ground black pepper. Then add chicken stock. Cook till slightly reduced.
- Add parmesan and mix thoroughly. Add more parmesan or any thickening agent to make the sauce thicker. If you do not wish to add any thickening agent, you can also continue cooking the sauce till it reduces even further. I like to finish it off in the oven at 180°C /360°F for about 10 minutes to free up space on my stove for other dishes.
- Serve with a side of vegetables.
- Conversion Chart
- If you are using MyFitnessPal app to track your macros, first copy the recipe link/URL, then go to the MyFitnessPal app to Recipes, select Create a New Recipe, then Add from the Web. Paste the URL, match ingredients and that’s it!
- Always match ingredients to the ones you use. Ingredient nutritional facts differ depending on brand.
- Nutrition Facts (based on my ingredients) : Servings: 2
Amount per serving
519 kcal | Total Fat – 41 g | Protein – 33 g | Total Carbs – 5 g | Fiber – 2 g = NET Carbs – 3 g
This was really great! I did it a bit different. I first heated the butter/oil with the garlic and italian herbs, and then when hot I added the halved chicken breasts. I continued the recipe as normal and it kind of browned the cream as well. Really yum!