This post is dedicated to my sisters baby, whom she and her husband call, blueberry as a pet name. I’m really glad to get a niece and I can’t wait to get some super adorable dresses for her. I’ve already got 4 rascal nephews whom I love to bits and miss a lot! It’s sad that I am not able to see my nephews and niece growing up, but thanks to our modern technology, I’m not all that left out.
So little Blueberry, I’m sorry Aunty Cherry can’t be there to see you during the first year of your life. I do hope you grow up to be a kind, loving and respectful girl. Always remember your Aunty Cherry who is half way around the world from you. Don’t let the boy cousins bully you! Love, Aunty Cherry.This recipe is adapted from Little Sweet Baker .
- 2 ½ cups Flour
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Butter, melted
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 nos Eggs
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 ½ cups Fresh Blueberries or Frozen
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- 3 teaspoons Butter, melted
- ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon, powder
- To taste Salt
- Preheat oven to 220°C and line a muffin tray.
- Mix ingredients for topping in a small bowl and leave to chill in fridge.
- Set aside about 2 tbsp of flour to coat blueberries. This will keep the blueberries from sinking to the bottom while baking.
- In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, mix the melted butter with sugar.
- Add eggs one by one then the vanilla extract and buttermilk.
- Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture using a spatula until moist.
- Gently fold in coated blueberries into the mixture.
- Scoop muffin mixture into muffin pan.
- If only making 10 muffins, pour some water into the 2 remaining holes. This will keep the muffins moist while baking. If making 12, then put some water in a small heatproof bowl in the oven.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 220°C, then reduce the heat to 190°C for another 15-25 minutes or until a thin skewer inserted into the centre of the muffin comes out clean. I like my muffins a bit more brown on top, so I left it in for 25 minutes.