Servings3 dozen (+/-)
Hello, hello! I’ve not been spending time on my blog for the past month! Honestly, I’m running out of ideas and I’ve been eating simple meals which I think don’t need to be on the blog. Anyways, I’m getting my groove back and certainly meal ideas for those who are on the keto way of eating.
Most chips sold in supermarkets are made from either potatoes or flour, which are obviously high in carbs. There’s reduced fat, fat free, sodium free and gluten free, but no low carb. So I was looking for something crunchy to snack on or have as dips and I came across this Low Carb Flaxseed Chips from Low Carb Recipe Ideas. I tried it out and got hooked. Hooked so much, I would make it at least once a week.
You can adjust seasoning according to what you like. I like mine a little spicy so I add a chili powder mix of cayenne, chili, cumin, and paprika. These chips are perfect as a dip or a high fiber snack.
- 1 cup Flaxseed Meal (Golden or Brown)
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 2 teaspoons Onion Powder
- 2 teaspoons Chilli Powder Mix (Cayenne, Paprika, Chilli) *optional
- ½ cup Water
- In a bowl, mix ground flax meal and seasonings well.
- Add water and mix till combined with a spatula.
- Cover and set the dough aside for 10 minutes.
- Pre heat oven to 200°c (400°F).
- Once dough is ready, roll it out between 2 parchment papers as thin as you like. (cooking times will vary according to thickness)
- Gently pull apart parchment paper from each side of the rolled dough onto the other (this is to make sure it does not stick to the paper while baking)
- Place the rolled dough with parchment paper onto a baking sheet and use a pizza cutter to cut into cracker sized pieces.
- Bake chips for 10-15 minutes (longer if thicker).
- Once chips are baked, turn off the oven, remove and break the crackers. Spread the crackers on the baking tray and return to the oven for another 10 minutes with the oven door slightly opened. (this is to dry it out so it gets crispy)
- Allow crackers to cool completely before storing.
- Conversion Chart
- You can adjust seasoning according to what you like. I like mine a little spicy so I add a chili powder mix of cayenne, chili, cumin, and paprika. These chips are perfect as a dip or a high fiber snack.
- If you are using MyFitnessPal app to count calories, first copy the recipe URL then go to MyFitnessPal app to Recipes, select Create a New Recipe, then Add from the Web. Paste the URL, match ingredients and that’s it!
- Always match ingredients to the ones you use. Ingredient nutritional facts differ depending on brand.
- Nutrition Facts (based on my ingredients) : Per serving (8 pieces) 124 kcal, Total Fat – 9 g, Total Carbs – 7 g, Fiber – 6 g = NET Carbs – 1 g, Protein – 4 g.
Thanks for this recipe! I’m going on a trip and want to bring some with me–how long will they keep in a sealed container at room temp?
Welcome! Sorry for the late reply. They keep well for about 3-4 days in an airtight container.
I just made these and the flavor is pretty good, the texture isn’t quite like a real cracker but I expected that! I did find it much easier to roll out onto a silpat mat with parchment over the top. Trying to do it between two parchment, it was just sliding all over the counter. No need to peel it off the silpat before baking either, it won’t stick!
You can get it quite crispy if you really roll it out thin and allow it to ‘dry out’ for a little while in the oven. I don’t have a silpat yet hence why I used two parchment papers and I used my tummy to hold one end of it 🙂 Glad you tried out the recipe and thanks for the tips!
I forgot to mention I also used 1 tbsp of toasted sesame and sea salt on top before baking which was nice.
Second time making these. Your recipe is perfect! Its super easy and the flavour is great!
I use a recipe very similar that adds pumpkin , sesame and sunflower seeds but will give yours A try too. I love flax crackers
What is flaxseed meal ?
Ground up flaxseeds.
I was looking for something to to use with hot crab dip instead of regular crackers. This sounds like it will do nicely.
These are awesome crackers! I should have added salt to them, but ,other than that, they are great! Thank you so much for the recipe. I will be making again
Hi from Australia. I just made these using brown flaxmeal and they turned out fantastic. Thank you.
I see there are 8 chips to a serving. How many servings are in this recipe? Thank you for sharing!
About 3 dozen. It also really depends on how you cut it.
I am going to make these. but the thing with myfitnesspal did not work
They are nice, I decided to add pepper and I think I might have added too much. And I also threw in chilli powder like it is in the recipe. My mouth is burning after eating them, but besides my weird choice of seasoning, they’re good, crunchy, and you can play with this recipe quite a lot I think 🙂 Just remember to roll the dough relatively thin, some parts of my chips were a little thicker and they are not so crunchy.
I made these adding dehydrated hot peppers and dehydrated kale. I also added lemon pepper seasoning (along with what is recommended). The smell is phenomenal! I can’t wait!! I am going to try them with green salsa verde.
Wow! Sounds good! Glad you added your own twist to the recipe.
I love the healthy simple ingredients but flax meal just isn’t tasty and the other flavorings didn’t cover up the taste. would sprinkled cheese on top help? i didn’t have any to try it
Thanks for trying it out! Yes, flax meal does have a fishy taste to it, but I rather enjoy it and so does my picky 2 year old. I have not tried to add cheese on it, but I don’t see why not. Did you make it with brown or gold flax? I personally find that the gold flax meal tastes less fishy. Hope this helps. Thanks again.
again the flax seems to ruin the flavor despite the added seasonings. It has this fishy taste that overpowers the other ingredients. ugh! Texture is good for a cracker and does not crumble. also very healthy ingredients (vs. lots of nut flour and cheese)
Bet you these would taste amazing with an Everything but the bagel seasoning sprinkled on top!
What is the best way to store the crackers after they’re baked. I added Trader Joe’s Everything Bagel on top before baking, it was delicious!!
Made these crackers with freshly ground golden flaxseed, onion and garlic powder and a peri peri seasoning, they are amazing!! Thank you so much.
Made them with brown flaxseed today and they have a fishy aroma. Golden flaxseed seems to be the way to go!
Has anyone modified the recipe with cinnamon? How much cinnamon would be good and also most importantly Keto.
Just made these and they are awesome! I used brown milled flax seed and sprinkled the top with salt, pepper, and chia seed (for texture). Can’t wait to try them with some keto dips, but they are very good plain too.