Prep1 hr 15 min
It’s autumn here which means christmas is near and I have to start planning my christmas menu and goodies!! This year’s autumn is really beautiful (for me at least) and I’ve finally come to appreciate the different colours of the trees. Also looking forward to my autumn holiday with the hubby and my best buddy.
Back to the post. I like baking my own bread. The kneading is very therapeutic for me especially on days when the lemons of life are particularly very sour. So, what better way to let out stress and worries? Kneading bread then eating it later! You do gain some muscle during those 7-10 minutes of kneading too. This recipe is very simple, tasty and easy to come together. You do not even need much time to shape it perfectly.
- ¾ - 1 cup Warm Water ( 45°C / 113°F)
- ½ Tablespoon Dry Yeast
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 2 cups + extra for dusting All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon + extra for greasing Olive Oil
- ¼ cup Butter
- 3-5 cloves Garlic, pressed or chopped
- To Taste Salt
- For Garnish Coriander, chopped
- Garlic Butter
- Gently melt butter in a small pot. Add freshly pressed or chopped garlic and salt. Mix and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix in sugar, yeast and warm water (about ¾ cup). Let it sit for 5-8 minutes till frothy. *see tips
- Add in flour, salt and oil. Mix till combined.
- Transfer to a clean surface and knead for 10 minutes. Add more water if needed.
- Lightly oil a large bowl and cover with a damp tea towel or plactic wrap and allow to rise for an hour or till doubled in size in a warm place. *see tips
- Pre-heat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Prepare a baking tray and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Lightly flour countertop and divide dough into equal balls and flatten to desired shape.
- Place flattened dough onto baking tray and brush with garlic butter.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or till golden brown.
- Brush with extra butter and serve.
- *if your house/kitchen temperature is below 27°C (81°F) proof your yeast or bread in the oven. To do this, turn your oven on to the lowest setting available for 2 minutes. Then turn if off and place your bowl of dough or yeast into the oven. You may need to place the wire rack lower. Remember to turn the oven off!
- Conversion Table
Enjoy and happy baking!