Now I’m on a very strict low carb diet. So croutons are out of the picture. I’m only on day 4 and I miss bread so much! Anyways, I made this batch here with half white bread and half wholemeal bread – just to make myself think it’s better than just going full white. I gladly sprinkled it over my salads while it lasted. So for all those who are not on a strict diet, please eat some on my behalf. This post is dedicated to my sister. After she got married, she started to cook at home. See, she’s not that domesticated when it comes to the kitchen. She’s better in the cleaning department and keeping the place tidy. I remember one day she made salad and then posted on Facebook that she did not have croutons. So I told her just toast up some bread and you’d have croutons. Her reply was, why would I make a condiment! HAHAHA I’m sure her cooking has improved a lot over the few years plus she knows how to cook rice well. I’ve not eaten her cooking yet. Though, there was a close call when we were younger. Our mother was out and we were playing outside the kitchen. She proceeds to cut grass and brings some water to boil. She then boiled the grass and added salt and pepper. The next thing I knew was she was trying to force me to drink her grass soup!!!! Mother came back in time to save the day. So dear sister, you are a year older today and I hope you do not attempt to cook grass soup anymore. 😛 Happy Birthday and cook more!
- 8 slices Sandwich Bread
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 2 teaspoons Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- To taste Salt
- To taste Black Pepper Powder
- Pre-heat oven to 150°C (300°F) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Cut sandwich bread into small cubes. Put bread cubes in a medium sized bowl.
- Drizzle oil over bread and toss or mix by hand. Make sure bread cubes are evenly coated.
- Sprinkle seasoning and herbs. Toss or mix by hand again till coated.
- Spread croutons out onto baking tray.
- Bake for 20 -30 minutes or till it’s lightly brown. Pay attention to the croutons once it starts browning as it can go south very quickly.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before storing in an air-tight container.
- Conversion Table
- Use any type of bread of choice
- Feel free to use your own choice of oil such as peanut oil, vegetable oil, canola oil, sunflower oil, rapeseed, or even butter.
- Add parmesan for extra yumminess!
- For nutritional information, please visit my Yummly page and scroll to the bottom of the recipe.
- If you are using MyFitnessPal app to count calories, first copy the recipe URL then go to MyFitnessPal app to Recipes, select Create a New Recipe, then Add from the Web. Paste the URL, match ingredients and that’s it!
- Always match ingredients to the ones you use. Ingredient nutritional facts differ depending on brand.
100 0 100 50