Back from a little Christmas/New Year break! Though it’s already into the second week of year 2016, I would like to wish you a Happy New Year and may this year be better than before.
As you may notice, I’ve got a thing for sweet stuff. I prefer anything sweet over flowers or materialistic things. Bring me a nice box of chocolates, confectionary or cake and I will be super happy! Sadly, my waistline won’t be happy. Heck, I can’t even see my waistline! Few nights ago I realised that it’s finally time to REALLY do something about my weight and sugary cravings. I’ve tried many things for a number of years and always made excuses. Now with great apps available on my phone and TV, it makes it easier to count calories, how many steps you take a day, and to analyse your food intake to help you make better choices. I’m really not one to make healthy choices with foods as I live to eat. This time I’m really going to try slowly but surely to cut my “protective” layers. What way better than to start off by posting a bitter sweet end to my sweet addiction? Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats. So hopefully after this you won’t be seeing much sweet recipes here unless I make something that doesn’t have much calories and sugar in it.
Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats are a variation of the regular Rice Krispies Treats. Simple and fast to make for a quick snack or fulfilling those sugar cravings. These that I made here are very basic, and if you are looking for something more eye catching then throw in some M&M’s, or drizzle some white chocolate on it to make it, pop.
Recipe adapted from Kelloggs The Original Treats ™ .
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Butter
- 5 oz / 140 grams Marshmallows
- 3 cups Chocolate Rice Krispies
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- In a large non-stick pan, melt butter on low heat.
- Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
- Mix in cocoa powder and vanilla extract. Remove from heat.
- Add chocolate rice krispies, stir well until well coated.
- Transfer to parchment paper.
- Using another parchment paper or the same, press down the rice krispies and shape it into a rectangle. Size and shape depends on you.
- Allow to cool for 45 minutes. Cut and serve.
- Conversion table
- 10 large Marshmallows = 3 oz = 85g
- 20 large Marshmallows = 6 oz = 170g
- 30 large Marshmallows = 9 oz = 250g
- 40 large Marshmallows = 12 oz = 350g
- 1 large Marshmallow = 10 miniature Marshmallows
- 10 large Marshmallows = 1 cup miniature Marshmallows
- 1 – 10oz bag miniature Marshmallows = 2 cups miniature Marshmallows
- You can also use a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray to mould the treats. I use parchment paper as there’s less mess and one less dish to wash.
- You can also microwave the butter and marshmallow. In microwave-safe bowl heat butter and marshmallows on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Follow steps 3 onwards.
Enjoy and happy treating!